In the Music Ministry at FPC it is our hope that everything we do will enhance our worship experience. We sing hymns, songs and anthems, and use all types of instruments. We believe it is an unspeakable privilege to be used as an instrument of God; an unparalleled experience to combine voice and musical talent, no matter how great or small, with others to give adoration to God. Our music program involves all ages. The choirs described here are open to all without an audition. Come join the SONG!
The Sanctuary Choir, open to adults of all ages and college-age and high school students. It is made up of men and women who love the Lord, each other and music. We sing every Sunday morning throughout the year using various musical styles, most of which take the form of anthems, both traditional and contemporary. Once in a while we sing a capella, but usually we’re accompanied by organ or piano with other musical instruments—strings, brass or woodwinds. Three times a year there is full orchestral accompaniment.
We are not a group of professional singers, however, we’ve been told that when we sing our voices blend in beautiful harmonies that enhance the worship experience.
We rehearse on Wednesdays at 7:00pm and on Sundays at 9:30 before church at 10:00. We would love to have you join us!
Our instrumental groups compliment the organ and piano and help create a depth of sound that deepens the worship experience.
At Easter, in the Fall, and at Christmas we combine all our instrumentalists and have a chamber orchestra with the Sanctuary Choir.
The following instrumental groups play once a month during the school year:
- The FPC Brass
This group includes trumpet, French horn, trombone, euphonium, and tuba.
- The FPC Strings
This group includes violins, viola, and cello.
We have two Children’s Choirs at FPC, Sonshiners and Kids of the Kingdom. Both groups meet on Wednesday evenings as part of the Logos program. Each choir sings several times during Sunday morning worship while Logos is in session.
- Sonshiners is for children in grades K through 2. The children sing, play fun games, use rhythm instruments and bell plates, all to enhance the music learning experience. They meet in the Courtyard, Level Three, Room 316.
- Kids of the Kingdom is for children in grades 3 through 5. The children utilize Orff instruments, recorders, rhythm instruments, and hand chimes. They also study the Church Year seasons and their meanings. They meet in the Music Room, Level Five.
We’d love to have your children join us!
September Musical Highlights
- 9-5- Communion – The Sanctuary Choir will sing “At the Table of the Lord” by Jay Althouse.
- 9-12 – Dr. Bridges installation as out Pastor. Kristen Alves will play violin. The choir songs are “Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus” arranged by Michael W. Smith and “Who Are You Lord” written by Ruth Elaine Schram with a special violin part added.
- 9-19 – The FPC Strings will play for Rally Day and accompany the Sanctuary Choir on “Joining Hands” by Stan Pethel plus play a special string arrangement of “Just As I Am” by Greg Walters.
- 9-26 – The Sanctuary Choir will sing a favorite of ours: “We Sing One Common Lord” by John Carter.
Rehearsal is at 10:30 in the sanctuary before the church service at 10:45 on Sunday mornings.
We have picked out a Christmas Play for the LOGOS Children. We will be working with the children during LOGOS on Wednesday evenings.