In 1838, “The Western Presbyterian Church” was organized by 18 Cabell County Presbyterians in the then unfinished Chapel at Marshall Academy. In 1872, land was purchased on Fifth Avenue and a small church was erected at the rear of the lot. It contained a 900-pound bell (at a cost of $296!), which is the same bell that hangs in our present bell tower. The cornerstone of our present Sanctuary was laid August 18, 1885, with the first worship service held on September 20, 1896. The cost for construction was a then staggering $22,000!
As Huntington grew, First Presbyterian Church also grew and was instrumental in the founding of several local Presbyterian congregations, including: Second (1908), Highlawn (1913), Beverly Hills (1945), Spring Valley (1945), Enslow (1949), Bates (1956), Rome (1958), Cabwaylingo (1958) and Green Valley (1959).
The following are some of the many high lights in our church history beginning in the early 1900s